I'm so excited to share this incredible story of a Killington Vermont Proposal in the middle of a snowstorm.
I've always loved the mountains. There's something about the feeling of being surrounded by towering peaks and endless forests that makes me feel small and insignificant, but in a good way. It's like I'm reminded of how big and beautiful the world is, and how lucky I am to be a part of it.
That's why I was absolutely stoked when Jenna reached out to me with the idea of proposing to her girlfriend on top of Killington Mountain. She wanted to find the perfect spot. Somewhere that would take her breath away and make her feel like the most special person in the world.
Killington Vermont Proposal
Killington is a popular ski mountain in Vermont, but what Jenna loved about it was that she and Deanna have a tradition of going there for an annual ski trip each winter and knew she wouldn’t expect a thing. It was the perfect place to propose.
We planned the Vermont proposal for the first weekend in March. They woke up that morning at their BnB close by and drove to Killington Resort after having their car plowed out of the parking lot. The snow was falling heavily, and the wind was blowing so strong that the gondola to the summit was out of service. I knew when I arrived that we would need to alter the plan a bit and take a chairlift to a different peak, but we were determined to do this!
When they finally reached the top, I stood back, half hiding behind the ski patrol lodge and pretending to photograph the scenery. I saw Jenna turn to Deanna, push her hair out of her eyes, and get down on one knee.
She looked at her with tears in her eyes and said, "Yes!"
They kissed, and then we all just stood there for a few minutes while onlookers cheered, taking it all in. Afterward, we rode down the mountain together, and when we got to the bottom, we saw that the gondola was back open! We took it up to the summit, where champagne, chocolate covered strawberries, and a Marry Me sign awaited them. It was a beautiful day and the perfect setting for a Vermont proposal.
Tips for proposing to your partner on top of a ski mountain:
- Plan ahead. Make sure you know the mountain well and that you're familiar with the terrain. You also might want help with coordination from the resort staff if you’re hoping for a special meal or celebratory drink afterward.
- Hire a photographer (like us)! You'll want to capture this special moment on camera. We will also help you choose the best spot. Ideally, you want an area that has stunning views and is also private and secluded.
- Be prepared for the weather. Ski mountains can be very cold and windy, so make sure you dress appropriately and bring hand/toe warmers, too.
- Have a backup plan. In case of unfavorable weather or other unforeseen circumstances, it's always a good idea to have a backup plan. This could be a different area of the mountain (a lower peak, lodge/restaurant, spot near the base, etc.) or another location nearby where you can propose.
- Relax and enjoy the moment. The most important thing is to be yourself and allow everything to unfold naturally. This is a special day, so make sure you savor every minute of it!
Oh, and after you've proposed, then you may be looking to have a wedding! We are Vermont and New England elopement and intimate wedding photographers, and help co-craft a perfect day with our couples.
Killington Vermont Winter Proposal Photography
A New Hampshire + Vermont based adventure elopement and intimate wedding photographer team for the adventurous souls. We specialize in New England and destinations worldwide, empowering you to create the most beautiful, adventurous day and give you the memories you'll be able to look back on for all the years to come.
Share this story